Balsamic Apple Crisp
Recipe Type: Dessert
- This is an easy and delicious treat. We recommend using more tart apples like Granny Smith or Arkansas Black, but any firm, tart apple will work.
- 8-10 cups firm, tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Harvest Red Apple Balsamic
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- For the topping
- ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- ½ pound cold, unsalted buter (2 sticks, diced into small chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use butter or Fresh Harvest Olive Oil to greese a 9x14x2 oval baking dish or similar size rectangle dish.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into medium thick wedges.
- In a large bowl toss the apples with the Fresh Harvest Red Apple Balsamic until well coated. In a separate bowl combine the sugar and spices, blend well and toss with the Balsamic soaked apples. Pour mixture into the dish.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal and cold butter in a bowl and use a paddle attachment on your stand or hand mixer. (You can also use a dough cutter by hand). Mix or blend on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of small peas. Scatter the mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake on a sheet pan or aluminum foil (to avoid any dripping over the side) for approximately 1 hour and the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm with a dollop of whip cream or vanilla ice cream. Or you can be really decadent and top with a reduction of the Red Apple Balsamic, along with the ice or whip cream.