GREEK SPINACH AND FETA PIE – SPANAKOPITA
Recipe Type: side dish
- 1 pound frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 onion finely chopped or 3-4 spring onions chopped (only white parts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing the phyllo
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (or dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10-12 ounces crumbled and grated feta
- 3 eggs
- 12 phyllo sheets
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius)
- Heat a medium pan with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the spinach (make sure you have squeezed out the water).
- Sauté spinach with onion for a few minutes.
- Add the herbs, nutmeg and sugar and sauté for 2-3 minutes more. Set aside and let it cool.
- Grate half of the feta and crumble the rest.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and add the feta.
- Add the egg mixture to the spinach and add the other tablespoon of olive oil. Mix so that all the ingredients are blended.
- Brush a pan that is about 10 X 15 inches with olive oil.
- Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan and brush with olive oil. Repeat with 5 more phyllo sheets.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly.
- Cover with 6 more phyllo sheets brushing each one with olive oil. Cut the phyllo hanging over the pan or roll in.
- Score the top with a knife (do not cut all the way through, just through the top phyllo sheets) for about 10-12 pieces.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until phyllo is golden.
- Remove from oven and let the pita cool. Cut in pieces.
- Enjoy at room temperature or if you want the phyllo crunchy, warm in the oven before serving
- Photo by Elena Paravantes.