Olive Oil Orange Cake
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 2 Small Seedless Oranges
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil (Not Extra Virgin!)
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- To Garnish:
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9 inch spring-form pan.
- Cut off a small slice of the thicker top and bottom parts of each orange, discard these pieces, and then cut the rest of the oranges (flesh and peel) into chunks.
- Place them in a food processor and puree until blended but with some texture left.
- Add the oil to the oranges and pulse until blended.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs until they are light and fluffy and then slowly add in the sugar.
- Begin to add the egg mixture in three parts alternating with the orange mixture just stirring until combined. (Be careful not to over mix which will deflate the eggs and create a dense cake.)
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or just until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing.