Roasted Beet Salad with fresh goat cheese, arugula blossoms and toasted pecans
Recipe Type: Salads
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh beets
- 1/3 cup arugula blossoms (optional)
- 8 oz. chevre (fresh goat cheese)
- 6 cups baby arugula or mixed greens
- 1 cup whole pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality grainy mustard
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons UP Certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil such as Oro Bailen Picual or Melgarejo Hojiblanca
- Preheat the oven to 400. Trim the beets and wrap in one foil packet drizzled with a tablespoon of water. Roast for 1 hour or until tender when pierced through with a knife. Once the cooked beets are cool enough to handle, peel them by rubbing the skin off between paper towels. Warning: This will dye your hands bright red so you may want to use gloves or extra paper towels.
- Cut the peeled beets in to 1″ pieces and toss with 2 tablespoons of white balsamic whisked together with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the remaining white balsamic with the grainy mustard until well combined. Slowly drizzle in your olive oil of choice, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened or emulsified. Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Arrange the greens in a bowl or on a platter and dress with the white balsamic vinaigrette. Add the marinated roasted beets to the salad, along with the crumbled fresh goat cheese, toasted pecans, and arugula blossoms (if using).